Monday 7 May 2012

Line

For social angling a prefer using 0.25mm main line with a 17lbs leader for casting. If you are not casting you don’t really need a leader as 0.25mm is strong enough for catching most fish in our waters.

For comps I mainly use 0.17mm (5lbs) main line with a 17lbs leader.  My reels for comps are loaded with cheap line for backing and then the last 200m will be my 0.17mm line. This 200m is easily replaced as soon as it gets old/worn. With my 12’ mid-range rods I get up to 148m casting a P3 weight. On my higher-end rods with low-rider guides I have done a few cast the other day and constantly hit the 160m mark with a P4 weight. Casting rietvlei trace with M1 weight and bomb I can easily reach 130m+ and on a comp it makes a huge difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment